The Silhouette Portrait® 2 contour (plotter) cutter will cut transfer paper, card, fabric, transfer film and vinyl plus many more of sizes of up to 8″ wide and 10 feet long. It is fully compatible with the Silhouette Roll Feeder to help you to exploit its full potential when cutting rolled media. This brand new and updated model brings the Portrait® more in line with the Cameo® 3 in a smaller and more portable package. The Silhouette Portrait® 2 now features Bluetooth wireless connectivity, can generate deeper cuts up to 2mm and is fully compatible and shipped with the Silhouette Autoblade cutting blade. The beauty and the appeal of the Portrait® has always been its smaller frame and the same can be said of the Portrait® 2 as it hasn’t grown in size but it has with its feature count.
Now that the Silhouette Portrait® 2 features Bluetooth you can create a design using your mobile device and send them through to it wirelessly. It’s not just Bluetooth that the Silhouette Portrait® 2 is capable of, it retains its PixScan compatibility which means you can snap a design with your mobile device’s camera, import it into the software and then use the Silhouette Portrait® 2 to cut it out, it really is as simple as that.
The included software* enables you to cut fonts, design shapes of your own or download designs from the Silhouette online store. An optional software upgrade or software plugin will also enable you to open and cut .svg (vector) files.
*You can download the basic Silhouette Studio® software for free by clicking here. We recommend doing this before purchasing the cutter to familiarise yourself with the image design and set-up process and check that you are happy with what is involved.
- 203.2mm (8") cutting width x 3m cutting length
- Higher 2mm clearance for cutting thicker materials
- AutoBlade system lets your machine set the correct blade setting
- Bluetooth® compatibility for wireless connectivity
- Auto-feed function - simply line the paper up and press the feed button
- 10 pressure/force blade settings changeable with a click
- Print & cut - optical eye scans and reads registration marks printed with your design
(compatible with PixScan™ technology)
- Access to the Silhouette online store
- Includes Silhouette Studio PC and Mac® compatible software:
Compatible with Windows Vista and higher, Mac® OS X 10.6.8 and higher
- Design tools to create and cut your own shapes and designs
- Cuts fonts already installed on your computer - perfect for vinyl
- Silhouette Studio® library for organising and store designs
- Import your own designs and set them up for print and cut
- Uses a proprietary .STUDIO file format consisting of vector art for line and colour fills
- Open the following vector file formats in a 'ready to cut' format - GSD/GST (ROBO Master program files), DXF
- Import other vector and raster file formats for the purpose of tracing to create cut lines - JPG, BMP, PNG5, GIF, WMF
- Optional software upgrade available separately:
- Ability to open, manipulate and cut .svg files
- Additional rhinestone tools, sketch tools, creative knife, enhanced eraser, built in ruler and guides
- Silhouette Portrait® 2 Cutter
- USB Cable, power cable with UK 3-pin plug and European 2-pin plug
- AutoBlade cutting blade
- Patented carrier sheet for die cutting paper and card
- 50 free digital designs and 1 month's trial subscription to the Silhouette online store
- Silhouette Studio® Software For Windows 7 & Newer | Mac® OS X 10.7 & Higher
What materials can the Silhouette Portrait® cut?
The Silhouette is designed to cut a variety of materials including vinyl, paper, specialty patterned papers, cardstock, vellum, iron-on heat transfer material, fabric (when using Silhouette Interfacing products) and sticker paper. It will also cut a variety of other specialty materials. The Silhouette has a cutting force of 210gf and includes a blade that can extend to approximately 1mm in depth when using the standard blade.
However, there is still a limitation depending on the material type's density and make up. Certain materials that are overly dense (such as thin metals, acrylic or acetate, for example) may not be able to be cut well or at all and can impair the blade. On dense materials such as mylar, doflex and plasticard you are limited to around 120 micron with the Silhouette machines due to the density of the material – any thicker than this and the blade will not be able to completely penetrate the media. Certain materials that have abrasive natures (such as thicker chipboard or sandpaper) may also impair the blade or dull it very quickly. On the other side of the spectrum, certain fibrous materials (such as select felt materials or handmade papers) may not be held together densely enough for successful cutting.
Testing can be performed on special material types to find whether or not they can be cut successfully by using the Test Cut feature.
I want to print and cut heat transfer paper. Does Silhouette Studio® support ICC profiles?
Silhouette Studio® doesn’t have ICC profile support, so to use ICC profiles with a Silhouette machine, you would need to use either Adobe Illustrator or a full version of Corel Draw together with the Silhouette Connect plugin. As these two packages are both professional design packages, they fully support ICC profiles so should work with your print system. You then use the Silhouette Connect plugin to output from those packages to the cutter.
Online Set-Up Guide: http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/setup/en/portrait-2
Machine instructions: Download pdf instructions for the Silhouette Portrait®
Software instructions: Download pdf instructions for Silhouette Studio®
Recommended Silhouette Tools
In this video we show you the 3 most useful tools to have from the outset when working with a Silhouette contour cutter.
Image Set Up When Using a Silhouette
In this video we explain some of the different ways you can you can open an image and create cut lines. We look at this process using the standard Silhouette Studio®, Studio® Designer Edition and the Connect™ plugin.
How to Print and Cut Heat Transfer Paper Using Silhouette
In this video we explain how you print and then cut out a printable heat transfer using Silhouette Studio® and a Silhouette cutter.
Eliminating White Edges on Transfer for Dark Fabric Using Offset
In this video we explain how you can go about getting rid of those annoying white edges you can often be left with when you use a contour cutter to cut out a printed heat transfer for dark fabrics.
|Silhouette Portrait® 2
If you wish to order more than one cutter, please contact us for pricing.
VAT & Pricing
EU customers who have a valid VAT-number do not have to pay value added tax.
Please contact us with your order details and VAT number before placing your order.