The Silhouette Portrait® contour (plotter) cutter will cut transfer paper, card, fabric, transfer film and vinyl. It connects to your computer via a simple USB cable and has the ability to register and cut printed materials up to A4 size. The included software* enables you to cut fonts, design shapes of your own or download designs from the Silhouette online store. An optional software upgrade or software plugin will also enable you to open and cut .svg (vector) files.
*You can download the basic Silhouette Studio® software for free by clicking here. We recommend doing this before purchasing the cutter to familiarise yourself with the image design and set-up process and check that you are happy with what is involved.
- 203.2mm (8") cutting width x 3m cutting length
- Auto-feed function - simply line the paper up and press the feed button
- 10 pressure/force blade settings changeable with a click
- Print & cut - optical eye scans and reads registration marks printed with your design
- Access to the Silhouette online store
- Includes Silhouette Studio PC and Mac® compatible software:
Compatible with Windows Vista and higher, Mac® OS X 10.6.8 and higher
- Design tools to create and cut your own shapes and designs
- Cuts fonts already installed on your computer - perfect for vinyl
- Silhouette Studio® library for organising and store designs
- Import your own designs and set them up for print and cut
- Uses a proprietary .STUDIO file format consisting of vector art for line and colour fills
- Open the following vector file formats in a 'ready to cut' format - GSD/GST (ROBO Master program files), DXF
- Import other vector and raster file formats for the purpose of tracing to create cut lines - JPG, BMP, PNG5, GIF, WMF
- Optional software upgrade available separately:
- Ability to open, manipulate and cut .svg files
- Additional rhinestone tools, sketch tools, creative knife, enhanced eraser, built in ruler and guides
- Silhouette Portrait® Cutter
- USB Cable, power cable with UK 3-pin plug and European 2-pin plug
- Standard blade with holder
- Patented carrier sheet for die cutting paper and card
- 50 free digital designs and 1 month's subscription to the Silhouette online store
- Software and basic instruction guide
What materials can the Silhouette Portrait® cut?
The Silhouette is designed to cut a variety of materials including vinyl, paper, specialty patterned papers, cardstock, vellum, iron-on heat transfer material, fabric (when using Silhouette Interfacing products) and sticker paper. It will also cut a variety of other specialty materials. The Silhouette has a cutting force of 210gf and includes a blade that can extend to approximately 1mm in depth when using the standard blade.
However, there is still a limitation depending on the material type's density and make up. Certain materials that are overly dense (such as thin metals, acrylic or acetate, for example) may not be able to be cut well or at all and can impair the blade. On dense materials such as mylar, doflex and plasticard you are limited to around 120 micron with the Silhouette machines due to the density of the material – any thicker than this and the blade will not be able to completely penetrate the media. Certain materials that have abrasive natures (such as thicker chipboard or sandpaper) may also impair the blade or dull it very quickly. On the other side of the spectrum, certain fibrous materials (such as select felt materials or handmade papers) may not be held together densely enough for successful cutting.
Testing can be performed on special material types to find whether or not they can be cut successfully by using the Test Cut feature.
What's included in the box?...
||With carrier sheet: 8" x 12" (203mm x 305mm)
||With a lined media: 8" x 10ft (203mm x 3048mm)
|Max media feed width:
|Max. media thickness:
||31.5 mils (0.8mm)
|Max. cutting speed:
||3.9"/sec (10cm /sec)
|Max. cutting force:
||Film media 0.1m micron or less in thickness:
||Garment vinyl, paint mask, postcards,
||scrapbooking paper, cardstock, photo paper,
||chipboard, rhinestone template material
||USB 2.0 High Speed
||16.25" x 5.6" x 4.5" (413 x 142 x 114mm)
||18" x 10" x 10" (460 x 250 x 250mm)
||1 year return to base parts and labour
1 x Silhouette Portrait® Cutter
1 x Silhouette Studio Software (PC / MAC)
1 x USB Cable
1 x Power Cable
1 x AC Adapter
1 x 8" x 12" Carrier Sheet
1 x Blade Set
1 x Tutorial DVD (PC / MAC) containing video tutorial, cutting templates and examples
1 x Instruction Booklet
1 x Quick Start Guide
1 x Font Pack CD containing over 6000 True Type fonts
50 x Digital cuttable designs
Online Set-Up Guide: http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/setup/en/portrait
Machine instructions: Download pdf instructions for the Silhouette Portrait®
Software instructions: Download pdf instructions for Silhouette Studio®
Silhouette Portrait® and Cameo®: Differences and what's included
In this video we show you what is included with a new Silhouette Portrait® or Cameo® contour cutter and explain the main differences between the two cutters. We also cover the basics of getting started and setting up the cutter.
Recommended Silhouette Tools
In this video we show you the 3 most useful tools to have from the outset when working with a Silhouette contour cutter.
Image Set Up When Using a Silhouette
In this video we explain some of the different ways you can you can open an image and create cut lines. We look at this process using the standard Silhouette Studio®, Studio® Designer Edition and the Connect™ plugin.
How to Print and Cut Heat Transfer Paper Using Silhouette
In this video we explain how you print and then cut out a printable heat transfer using Silhouette Studio® and a Silhouette cutter.
Eliminating White Edges on Transfer for Dark Fabric Using Offset
In this video we explain how you can go about getting rid of those annoying white edges you can often be left with when you use a contour cutter to cut out a printed heat transfer for dark fabrics.
If you wish to order more than one cutter, please contact us for pricing.
VAT & Pricing
EU customers who have a valid VAT-number do not have to pay value added tax.
Please contact us with your order details and VAT number before placing your order.