Heat Transfer Paper (HTP) enables you to print images onto paper using a normal printer and then to transfer that image on to cotton, polyester or polycotton using a heat press or iron.
Laser or Inkjet?
Before you can start transferring images using Heat Transfer Paper (HTP) you need to work out what is the right paper for your situation. The first question you need to answer is what kind of printer you are going to be using – laser or inkjet – because Heat Transfer Paper (HTP) doesn’t work with both.
If you are at the beginning of your journey and haven’t bought a printer yet then these are the essential things you need to think about:
- In general, Inkjet printers produce a slightly better image than laser printers
- Heat Transfer Paper (HTP) that work with inkjet printers work with almost all inkjet printers, this is less so for Heat Transfer Paper (HTP) that work with laser printers
- The cost per print of a laser printer is less than an inkjet printer
- Laser printers print more quickly than inkjet printers
- It is possible to buy Heat Transfer Paper (HTP) for laser printers that is self-weeding - not true for inkjet printers
- The durability of each is about the same but Heat Transfer Paper (HTP) for laser printers should never bleed in the wash because they use toner not ink
What material can I print on?
The second question is are you printing on dark fabric or light fabric. This matters because if you don’t use the right paper, your transfer will either not be as soft as it could be or the colour of the fabric will overshadow the image. Heat Transfer Paper (HTP) for dark fabric (usually called opaque) has an extra layer that blocks out the colour of the fabric, this isn’t needed for light fabric. So you might also ask where the line is between light and dark fabric? Light tends to be white, beige and light grey and everything else is dark.
Printing on Dark T Shirts and Fabrics
We offer 3G Jet Opaque which works with cotton, polyester and polycotton.
Printing on Light Fabrics and T Shirts
We offer two types of Heat Transfer Paper (HTP) that work with inkjet printers that are suited to light fabrics:
- Jet Pro ActiveWear - only suited to synthetic products including 100% polyester
- Jet Pro SofStretch - suited to cotton, polyester and polycotton, this is a premium product and gives fantastic results
We offer three types of Heat Transfer Paper (HTP) that work with laser printers that are suited to dark fabrics:
- Laser 1 Opaque - handles complex photographic images but requires weeding
- Image Clip Laser Dark - only works with blocks of colour such as text and graphics and it is self-weeding
- Image Clip Koncert T's - used to transfer white blocks of colours such as text and colours onto dark fabric and is self-weeding
We offer three types of Heat Transfer Paper (HTP) that work with laser printers that are suited to light fabrics:
- Techni-Print EZP - handles complex photographic images but requirs weeding
- Image Clip Laser Light - only works with blocks of colour such as text and graphics and is self weeding
We also offer two specialist products:
- Yolo Fluorescent - works with light or dark fabric and creates a glow-in-the-dark result
- Techni-Print HS - used to transfer images onto hard surfaces such as mugs and other ceramics, wood, metal, glass