The Silhouette Cameo® 3 contour (plotter) cutter is the latest model in the Silhouette range and includes additional features including the ability to cut thicker materials, an LCD touch screen with mini tutorials, barcode scanning feature, Bluetooth® compatibility, a dual carriage and storage compartment. It connects to your computer via a simple USB cable and has the ability to register and cut printed materials up to A3 size. This new model also has a USB drive port enabling you to read and cut designs without being connected to a computer. The machine will cut transfer paper, card, fabric, transfer film, vinyl and many other materials. The included software* enables you to cut fonts, design shapes of your own or download designs from the Silhouette online store. An optional software upgrade or software plugin will also enable you to open and cut .svg (vector) files.
*You can download the basic Silhouette Studio® software for free by clicking here. We recommend doing this before purchasing the cutter to familiarise yourself with the image design and set-up process and check that you are happy with what is involved.
- 304.8mm (12") cutting width x 3m cutting length
- Higher 2mm clearance for cutting thicker materials
- Full colour LCD touch screen control panel with embedded tutorials
- AutoBlade system lets your machine set the correct blade setting
- Dual carriage enable two tasks to be completed in one pass
- Bluetooth® compatibility for wireless connectivity
- Repositionable rollers for different sized media
- Crosscutter to easily cut materials fed directly from a roll
- Auto-feed function - simply line the paper up and press the feed button
- Barcode scanning feature for repeated cut jobs
- 10 pressure/force blade settings changeable with a click
- Storage compartment perfect for storing spare blades
- USB drive port to read and cut saved files directly from your USB drive
- Print & cut - optical eye scans and reads registration marks printed with your design
(compatible with PixScan™ technology)
- Access to the Silhouette online store with 1 month's basic subscription free
- Read more about the features of the Silhouette Cameo® 3 here
- Includes Silhouette Studio PC and Mac® compatible software:
Compatible with Windows Vista and higher, Mac® OS X 10.6.8 and higher
- Design tools to create and cut your own shapes and designs
- Cuts fonts already installed on your computer - perfect for vinyl
- Silhouette Studio® library for organising and store designs
- Import your own designs and set them up for print and cut
- Uses a proprietary .STUDIO file format consisting of vector art for line and colour fills
- Open the following vector file formats in a 'ready to cut' format - GSD/GST (ROBO Master program files), DXF
- Import other vector and raster file formats for the purpose of tracing to create cut lines - JPG, BMP, PNG5, GIF, WMF
- Optional software upgrade available separately:
- Ability to open, manipulate and cut .svg files
- Additional rhinestone tools, sketch tools, creative knife, enhanced eraser, built in ruler and guides
- Silhouette Cameo® 3 Cutter
- USB Cable, power cable with UK 3-pin plug and European 2-pin plug
- AutoBlade cutting blade
- Patented carrier sheet for die cutting paper and card
- 100 free digital designs and 1 month's subscription to the Silhouette online store
- Software and basic instruction guide
Can I use the AutoBlade only in this machine?
The existing Silhouette Standard, Premium and Deep Cut blades are also compatible with the Silhouette Cameo® 3 but you will have to manually adjust the blade settings as the Silhouette Cameo® 3 can only automatically adjust the AutoBlade.
What materials can the Silhouette Cameo® cut?
The Silhouette is designed to cut a variety of materials including vinyl, paper, specialty patterned papers, cardstock, vellum, iron-on heat transfer material, fabric (when using Silhouette Interfacing products) and sticker paper. It will also cut a variety of other specialty materials. The Silhouette has a cutting force of 210gf and includes a blade that can extend to approximately 1mm in depth when using the standard blade.
However, there is still a limitation depending on the material type's density and make up. Certain materials that are overly dense (such as thin metals, acrylic or acetate, for example) may not be able to be cut well or at all and can impair the blade. On dense materials such as mylar, doflex and plasticard you are limited to around 120 micron with the Silhouette machines due to the density of the material – any thicker than this and the blade will not be able to completely penetrate the media. Certain materials that have abrasive natures (such as thicker chipboard or sandpaper) may also impair the blade or dull it very quickly. On the other side of the spectrum, certain fibrous materials (such as select felt materials or handmade papers) may not be held together densely enough for successful cutting.
Testing can be performed on special material types to find whether or not they can be cut successfully by using the Test Cut feature.
Can I use this machine with a tablet such as an iPad?
Yes, Silhouette Studio® Mobile allows you to create and send images to a Silhouette machine using a tablet, It is available to download here.